TTFit are thrilled to be sharing an interview with recent Bundesliga 1 winner Shang Kun.
Kun won the deciding rubber for Saarbrucken against the Brazilian superstar Calderano 3/0 after earlier defeating highly ranked French player Simon Gauzy. In the final, himself, Darko Jorgic and Patrick Franziska defeated a strong Ochsenhausen team which consisted of Hugo Calderano, Simon Gauzy and Jacob Dyjas.
Shang has been at the top of the game for years and has had victories against the likes of Ma Long (twice), Samsonov, Assar and Lin Gaoyuan.
1. Congratulations on your recent German League success with Saarbrücken, can you describe your emotions when you won the winning point against Calderano?
Honestly, I’m very happy because we are the League Champions in the same year that our boss turned 80 years old! I think this is the best gift for him.
2. We have studied your victories over Gauzy and Calderano very closely and you looked to have very clear thoughts and played with great confidence, can you discuss your game plans in more detail?
Honestly I don’t know, I just followed my feeling and they are top players of the world, so maybe I’m just very lucky!
3. Can you tell us what the training regime and mentality is like in China, and talk about any differences you notice in Europe?
I think the most important things are the cultural differences and yes I need to spend some time in China to improve again.
4. You have played at the highest level in China, what attributes does a player need in order to achieve success in such a competitive environment?
It’s really hard to say, I think the most important things are that when you lose, you go straight back to the practice hall the next day again, you cannot dwell on losses and give up.
5. You have played alongside and defeated Ma Long, perhaps the greatest player ever, can you tell us his 2 main strengths in your opinion?
How he loves table tennis and has so much passion!
6. What are your 2 favourite drills/exercises?
I think two B/H/ two F/H, and serve free.
7. What do you think is your best ever performance/match and why?
I really don’t remember one in particular as I have played so many matches in my career. I simply focus everyday, on practice, and trying to be better.
8. Finally, if you could give 2 tips to any young aspiring players out there, what would they be and why?
First, I think it’s important that you have a love for the game and secondly, please, always give it your all!
Thank you very much Shang for taking the time to give us a great interview! We wish you all the best in your career in Table Tennis and many congratulations on winning the Bundesliga title!