Today we are focussing on 27 year old Japanese Superstar Kasumi Ishikawa.
Here are some snippets on this wonderful player we hope you like:
1. Kasumi was always going to play Table Tennis as her mother and father both played competitive Table Tennis and her sister Rira is a current full time player. Her mother Kumi is also her coach.
2. ‘Kasumi-Chan’ (her nickname is a comparison to another great Japanese player Al Fukuhara) practiced in a specially made room in her home from the age of 5 and then decided to move away and devote herself to Table Tennis at age 11! She was relentless in her practice and played until late at night and even through the holidays, and with All-Japan-Class players.
3. Her first major breakthrough came at the 2009 World Championships when she amazingly reached the ¼ finals at the age of 16 and went on to win the Japanese National Title the very next year. Her ranking history is just incredible as she reached the World’s top 10 in 2011 and has stayed there pretty much ever since, her highest was #3 and she is currently ranked #9 female in the world.
4. Ishikawa is the first Japanese player to reach the Semi Finals of the Olympic Games, a match she unfortunately lost to Feng Tianwei and so lost out on a coveted medal. She did however win the Team Silver medal in the 2012 Olympics. She has also won 3 Silvers and 2 Bronzes in the World Team Championships and won the Mixed Doubles Gold Medal in 2017 World Championships in Dusseldorf with Mahari Yoshimura, Japan’s first Mixed Doubles Gold Medal in 48 years!!
5. Kasumin’ is incredibly popular in Japan and has ranked among the 5 most popular sportswomen in Japan from 2014 – 2019, she is also really popular in China and speaks fluent Chinese.
6. Kasumi has a fabulous outgoing personality, has even appeared in a few commercials for some big Japanese brands, and her ‘Ask A Pro’ interview with Adam Bobrow is very funny and well worth a look. She even starred in a movie titled ‘Mixed Doubles’ in which she played herself!!
7. The Japanese star’s favourite movies are ‘The Greatest Showman’ and ‘Crazy Rich Asians’. Her favourite food and drink are Yakiniku and Tapioka and she said if she could be one superhero it would be ‘Wonder Woman’
8. Kasumi Ishikawa is a breath of fresh air, she has a wonderful bubbly personality and is the sort of player everyone roots for. She has been incredibly dedicated to Table Tennis from the age of 5 and all you ever see from her is positivity. Her game style is based on speed, great footwork and fabulous reactions and is unbelievably exciting to watch.
TTFit wish her all the best in the future and please check out some of her best points/matches on YouTube.